Today the kids went back to school and the quiet got to me a little. I’m usually all for my (up to this year, quite limited) alone time. But I was, and am, feeling how quickly the time is passing and I have to admit, I was sad today at the prospect of my children being away more and more. Maybe it’s just hormones, maybe I’m getting old and it’s all hitting me. Maybe it’s because I haven’t seen the sun shining in what seems like months! But I tried to power through with my organization and cleaning list, because if I’m being completely real, this house is LONG overdue for a purge and a good deep cleaning.
I made some slow and steady progress getting things put away and cleaned up before I had to venture out into the real world, and of course, being busy fends off the sentimental blues for a little while.
As for the food and fitness goals for today, we had a delish casserole for dinner that was low carb, low sugar, and best of all, the kids beg for it. I describe it as a bacon cheeseburger pie with Brussels sprouts. I’m including the recipe with credit to dietdoctor.com and the writer below.
Keto Brussels and hamburger gratin
- 15 oz. ground beef
- 8 oz. bacon, diced
- 15 oz. Brussels sprouts, cut in halves (I cut them into quarters for easier bites for little kids -LB)
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 2 oz. butter
- 51⁄3 oz. shredded cheese (tonight I used a mix of Mozzarella and Cheddar-LB)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
by Anne Aobadia,
- Set the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Fry the bacon and Brussels sprouts in butter. Season and stir in sour cream. Place in a baking dish. (I added a layer of Mozzarella here for extra flavor -LB)
- Fry the ground beef golden-brown, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on top of the Brussels sprouts. Add cheese and herbs.
- Place in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes or until done.